Morning all! And today, a little conundrum for you. What do you get if you mix:
Three stamp sets, two ink pads and some stamping blocks;
A circle die set, some letter dies, an oval die and a number die;
Nine card colours and a piece of embossed DSP;
Two pairs of scissors, some glue, tweezers, cocktail sticks, a small foam roller, a poky tool, several dimensional glue pads and a tube of the sticky stuff; and…..
A bit of creativity (and a decent google search page)
Only this little beauty here, thats all:
Pretty cool huh? “But how did you do it?” I hear you all ask….. So now, as with the best Nigella recipe, you’ve seen the ingredients and what the finished article should look like, time for a bit of method. Here goes….
First, make your giraffe (a sentence I never thought I would utter)! I totally copied this from Google (type in punch art giraffe and loads come up) so take no credit for the design, but did have to work out what elements were used to put it all together etc as there were no instructions.. So I used a 2 circle dies for the head and body, word window punch for the neck, small oval punch for the mouth and owl punch for the eyes, tail end and horn ends. I made the spots from the smallest circle die and large owl punch circle. This was a bit tricky as they needed to be cut to hug the edge of the circle so that they looked right. After a couple of aborted cutting attempts, a plan B was needed and I ended up positioning them in place and then re-die cutting the whole lot so that they sat exactly right. The legs are simply made from a narrow cut strip of card and the feet are the smallest circles again, cut in half. The horns and tail are from an even narrower strip of card. His mouth is made by layering 2 ovals – one in the body colour (Peekaboo Peach) and one in Blushing Bride pink. His ears are made using the Petite Petals punch, and his little nostrils are the teeny tiny circle from the owl builder. Once I had all my pieces cut I glued everything together using tweezers and a cocktail stick for the smallest bits. This takes a lot of time and patience so don’t rush!
Once the giraffe was finished it was time for the card. I rollered a combination of Sweet Sugarplum and Melon Mambo inks over this rather snazzy DSP. Its got an embossed shiny pattern on it so when you add ink it colours the card in between the embossed bits and makes them stand out really nicely. As this was a card for a small girl I went with flowers but it also comes in polka dots, stars and other patterns. I then randomly stamped a “Happy Birthday” sentiment in Melon Mambo all over a piece of Sweet Sugarplum card which I mounted our spotty chum onto, and then I mounted that onto the coloured DSP. Then the whole thing was mounted onto a piece of Melon Mambo card. I used my Little Letters die set to create the name in Melon Mambo, which was mounted onto a die cut Sweet Sugarplum oval. Finally I cut a Sweet Sugarplum circle and a Melon Mambo 1 and then used dimensionals to position both in place.
I had originally wanted to use the giraffe from the Zoo Babies stamp set but it wasn’t really big enough and also didn’t look quite right (my client was very insistent that she wanted something that looked like a character called “Sophie Giraffe” that apparently her little niece loves and Zoo Baby wasn’t Sophie). Happily, making cards to order means you don’t have to stop with the outside, so I ghost stamped my Zoo Baby giraffe in Melon Mambo onto a piece of white paper, along with a sentiment from a hostess set I got last year (“Party Pants”). A near disaster was avoided when i noticed teeny smudge of Melon Mambo on the pristine white paper but a quick go with the Petite Petals punch soon sorted that.
And so with the inside sheet glued in place the card was all ready to go. Happy First Birthday Little Alice xx